28 January 2011

"Lo Mato Con Besos"

Last weekend I hung out with some of the other COST kids for a movie and pizza night. Afterward, one of the kids and I went our with his host brother and the host brother's crowd. We went out dancing at a discotheque. The dancing here is so much better than in the states. The kids I went with were really, awesomely cool as well.

This week I took over the 8th grade class teaching a 3 week unit on Medieval Europe. I improve everyday and I love it more everyday. There are two classes and they are exact opposites. One class I struggle to get the kids motivated and to participate. The other class it takes all my strength to restrain their enthusiasm. Andy helped me come up with a good class management technique that I enforced today and it helps me, the kids, and the overall class experience I think.

Last night it finally started to rain. I say finally because it's teachnically the rainy season and the forecast says rain everyday despite the sunshine and clear skies. Luckily, it stopped later this morning and this afternoon was sunny once again. There are dark clouds hanging around, but I can wish them away, right?

So, have you ever woken up and realized the person you're sleeping next to is a frightful sight? I haven't until this morning. I walked across the room barefoot and when I was walking back towards my closet I saw him. A scorpion. My first reaction was relief I didn't step on him barefoot. Secondly I was really excited because I had never seen a scorpion before. Lastly, I was frantic to find a shoe to hit it with. This thing was huge! I took a picture of it, but it's hard to tell the size. I wanted to put a dime next to it, but my money was on the other side of the room. After I took a picture, the thing started running around and trying to hide. Fortunately for me, and not the scorpion, I killed it. The whole way to school all I could think about if I would come back and find more scorpions on my pillow, in my shoes, in my towels... I can't think about it anymore. Gross.

Tonight I think the plan is a karaoke bar for one of the teacher's birthdays. So we'll see how that goes...
Salud!

2 comments:

  1. i cant believe youve never seen a scorpion before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aren't you from GA? I can't believe you haven't seen one because I saw them all the time in Alabama ( a whole 50 mins away from your house!). glad to see you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete